PMJAK: Major Steps to Open A Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra (PMJAK) initiative was launched in 2008 to provide affordable quality generic medicines to the public. PMJAKs scheme is implemented by the Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI), a registered society under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
Opening a PMJAK is not an easy task. It requires rigorous paperwork and a deep understanding of how the system works. Any individual, NGO, Trust, BPPI-empanelled hospital, or medical institution can open a PMJAK. Certain eligibility criteria must be met to open a Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
The applicant must be a registered medical practitioner with a valid Medical Council registration number. The applicant must have a minimum of two years of clinical experience. The applicant must be willing to open the PMJAK on their premises and bear the associated costs. The premises must meet all the required safety and security standards per the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare guidelines. The applicant must submit a declaration stating they will not engage in commercial activity at the PMJAK. The following documents are required to fulfill the eligibility criteria:
- Registration Certificate
- Pharmacy License
- GST Registration Certificate
- Bank Account Statement
The application procedure for setting up a PMJAK is as follows:
- Fill out the online application form available on the BPPI website.
- Attach all the required documents with the form and submit them to the nearest BPPI office.
- The BPPI office will verify the documents and provide an acknowledgment slip.
- Once the application is approved, BPPI will train the PMJAK outlet personnel.
- Eligibility: Any Indian citizen above 18 years can apply to set up a PMJAK. There is no minimum educational qualification required.
- Application: Interested individuals can apply online or offline by filling out an application form and submitting it to the nearest Jan Aushadhi Store.
- Selection: The applications will be screened by a committee constituted by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India. The committee will select applicants based on their financial and technical capability to set up and operate a Jan Aushadhi Store.
- Awarding of License: Successful applicants will be awarded a license to operate a Jan Aushadhi Store for three years, which can be renewed after that.
Opening the PMJAK Store
Pradhanmantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra stores are being opened across the country to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to all sections of society. The objective of setting up PMJAK is to promote generic drugs and make them available at affordable prices to all sections of society. PMJAK is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Government of India. Following are the steps involved in opening the PMJAK store:
- Identify a Suitable Location: The first step is to identify a suitable location for the store. The store should be accessible to the target population and have enough space to stock medicines.
- Apply for License: Once a location is finalized, an application must be submitted to the Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) along with the required documents for license approval.
- Register with BPPI: After approval of the license, the store has to be registered with BPPI to become eligible for the purchase of medicines from the Jan Aushadhi Medicines Store (JAMS).
- Stock medicines from JAMS: Once registered, the store can purchase medicines from any JAMS across the country. It is important to ensure that only genuine and quality medicines are stocked at the PMJAK.
- Create awareness about PMJAK: One of the most important tasks after opening a PMJAK is to create awareness about its existence and purpose among people living in its catchment area.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra Scheme was launched by the Prime Minister of India. The scheme also aims to create awareness about the importance of generic medicines among the people of India. The scheme is expected to benefit the poor and middle-class families who cannot afford the costly branded medicines. Some of the other benefits of the scheme are as follows:
- The scheme will help in reducing the cost of medicines.
- The scheme will help create awareness about the importance of generic medicines.
- The scheme will help in improving the quality of medicines.
- The scheme will help in increasing the availability of medicines.
- The scheme will help in providing employment opportunities to the people.
Ongoing Support from the Department of Pharmaceuticals
The Department of Pharmaceuticals provides ongoing support to JAKs through various means, such as financial assistance, technical support, and capacity building. JAKs are also provided with marketing support to ensure that they can reach out to as many people as possible. The PMJAK scheme is a great initiative that has benefitted countless people across India. With the continued support of the Department of Pharmaceuticals, it is sure to make even greater strides in the years to come.
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra scheme is a major initiative of the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to all citizens of India. Opening a PMJAK is not as difficult as it may initially seem. With the right information and guidance, you can open your own Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra in no time. By following the major steps outlined here, you will have all the necessary information to complete the registration process and sell essential medicines at discounted prices to those who need them most.